Saturday, August 18, 2012

WIP: Macaron Wearable Muslin

**Update: Here's a link to my completed Macaron.**

I slipped away and made a quick stop into Waechter's this morning. Judith couldn't believe I've made FIVE muslins for this dress. After helping me get inspired for my next project (possibly another Colette dress), she introduced me to a Swedish independent designer who makes patterns for my body type. There's a trouser pattern I'll be purchasing soon.

The Macaron. This one was tough, but the final version is going to be Oh So Worth It.

Here's the wearable muslin of the Macaron.

Pockets!




The fabric is a cheap flannel that I picked up at a swap. It was free, and it'll be nice this winter. Rather than fussing with matching the plaids, I just cut the waists and yokes on the bias. (I remembered seeing Lee's version last winter, which is when the Macaron caught my eye.) The darts (mostly) line up, but it's hard to see the detail with this busy print.

Here are the adjustments I've made so far:
  • Added piping to the top of the bodice pieces.
  • Cut a size 0 for the yokes, tapered from a size 0 to a 4 on the boob part, and used a size 4 for the waist section. 
  • Removed the bust dart completely. 
  • Added over an inch to height of the waist.
  • Added .5 inches to the waist width.
  • Removed .5 inches from the back center piece height.
  • Cut a size 4 skirt, but modified the width of the darts in the back because the seams didn't match up. (Still not sure what happened there.)
The bodice is in six pieces - three in the front and three in the back. So, every adjustment I made required corresponding adjustments to the other pieces to make the seams still match. That has been the biggest lesson for me in this project -- managing alterations and still having all the pieces match.

These are the changes I'll make in the final version (in addition to the ones already made):
  • Shave a bit off the hips.
  • Widen boob section. (I was still an inch off in making it match with the waist piece.)
  • Widen shoulders a .5 inch on each side (and corresponding facings).
  • Figure out why my back skirt is an inch narrower than the skirt front.
Next week in the sewalong we're putting together the final version.

In theory it should go together quickly now that I've done it so many times!

**You can track my Macaron progress here**

30 comments:

  1. I'm impressed, I need sewing lessons next time your in town!! Also, I love your hair, it is too cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to at least show you some tips I've learned (the hard way). The girls would enjoy it, too I bet. (and maybe the boy ;)

      Delete
  2. I love this! Saw your link on Sew and Tell Saturdays, and my eye was drawn to this cute dress. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm new to Linky parties - they are a great way to share ideas!!

      Delete
  3. Darling! The grandmothers are smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous dress! Really great job with the plaid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Doing the bias contrast made it so much easier!

      Delete
  5. I really think that is cute. I didn't join the Macaron sew-along and now seeing some of the finished versions, including your wearable muslin, I wish I had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! For the next round of the sew-along, I voted for the Peony. It looks like it'll either be that or the Jasmine in October. I'm already excited - I've had a blast participating in this one.

      Delete
  6. Love what you did with the plaid, gives the dress a cool laid back look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I saw the idea on Flikr last fall with another plaid Macaron.

      Delete
  7. This is so cute on you and the fit is flawless! i was tempted to make one but wasn't sure about that bust seam on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wasn't sure about the bust seam either, but after eliminating the side bust darts, I was sold.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks! It was worth the work, I think.

      Delete
  9. I love your solution for dealing with the plaids. I'm trying to convince myself I could pull this off- but I think it is not for my body type, boo! I do love it on you though and what a great fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been waiting a LONG time to wear a dress that's flattering!

      Delete
  10. This is such a flattering style on you. I hope I can tackle a pattern like that someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's been a lot of trial and error, but hopefully the end result will be worth it. I'm a SLOW learner when it comes to sewing.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm looking forward to seeing your projects in PR&P! Good luck!

      Delete
  12. I'm featuring your dress at Sew & Tell, it's so pretty. I think every dress I make is a wearable muslin!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. Thanks! I just discovered your blog, and I'm looking forward to seeing your sew-along creations for PR&P!

      Delete
  14. So fabulous. This just makes me want to get that pattern even more! I'm featuring you tomorrow for Make It Wear It!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful dress. Love the way the plaids go.. Your newest follower now! Do visit my blog too when you get time .. http://thehobbbyharbor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...